- Continues to be a stakeholder that has input as rules, regulations and funding that impact meals programs are being revised
- Provides input that reflects the wishes of the member programs, regardless of program size and funding structure, and
- Is an advocate for the member programs regarding changes to rules, regulations and funding that negatively impact meal programs.
How it Works
- RESEARCH: The Association Liaison researches the issue and seeks input from MOWAT Board Members and the MOWAT Membership, if time permits.
- COMMUNICATION: A letter stating the MOWAT position is formulated and approved by the MOWAT Board. Once approved, it is sent to the appropriate agency and forwarded to the entire MOWAT Membership.
- ACTION: The Association Liaison identifies the appropriate action steps, which may include participating in a work session with the funding agency, testifying at hearings, requesting support letters from members, calling legislators, etc.
Current Regulatory Issues
What Can You Do?
MOWAT 2017 liaisons are:
Texas Department of Agriculture – Vinsen Faris, Chief Executive Officer of Meals on Wheels San Antonio/Christian Senior Services, 210-735-5115
- Managed Care Organizations (MCO’s) – Elaine Shellenberger, Nutrition and Services for Seniors, 409-892-4455 or 409-626-2715
Recent News and Updates
- April 2016 Governmental Affairs Committee Report - This report includes about the Texas State Pilot Project, an update from the MOWAT conference in Houston, and updates from the Texas House of Representatives Human Services Committee
- March 2016 Testimony to Texas House of Representatives Human Services Committee on Managed Care Organizations & Their Complaint Process - by Betty L. Bradley, MOWAT Director & Association Liaison to HHSC and DADS